4 Blenheim Walk, Leeds LS2 9AE

Our Most Frequently Asked Questions

Here we have listed some of the questions we are often asked at the practice. We hope these answers will be useful for you, but if you’re still looking for information you can get in touch with us

Please keep us informed of any change of address or telephone number so we are always able to contact you

  • What do I do if I need a repeat prescription for medicine?
    • If you have never had your regular medication prescribed by us before, you will need to book a doctors appointment to arrange ongoing repeat scripts. Please bring your medication, or a print out of your usual prescription, along to your first appointment.The doctor will then be able to arrange repeat prescriptions for your regular medications

      Once this has been organised you will be able to request future prescriptions without having to see the doctor each time. You can request your next prescription by using our on-line access system; calling into the surgery in person; or making a request by post, enclosing a stamp addressed envelope in order for us to post your prescription back to you. We will need 24hrs notice to provide the prescription. Contraception is not available on repeat, you will need to book an appointment with a nurse for that

      After obtaining your script you can take it to any chemist, where they will dispense your medication. Prescriptions are free if you are under 18 years of age.There is no charge for contraceptive items, but other medication will be charged per item unless you hold a current prescription exemption card

  • What do I do if I need a prescription for contraception?
    • You will need to book an appointment with one of our nurses. We offer IUD/IUS, Implants, Depo injection and contraceptive pills/patches/vaginal rings. All contraception is free of charge

  • What if I take ill during the night or out of surgery hours?
    • If you require medical advice when the surgery is closed, please visit Leeds West CCG – Choose Well this will guide you to the most appropriate service for your problem

      In the event of a medical emergency or life threatening situation, phone 999 or go directly to the nearest Accident and Emergency Department

      Call 111 if it’s less urgent than 999

  • I’ve woken up and don’t feel well...
    • Contact the surgery via an EConsult as soon as possible and we will respond to you within 48 hours with the next steps.

  • I have a cold/sore throat...
    • Try self-medicating with cough/cold remedies from the pharmacy. See our Minor Illness page for further information on managing minor illnesses.

  • I need a home visit...
    • Home visits are strictly for patients who are seriously ill and whose medical condition prevents them from attending surgery.  Please be aware that the doctor can see several patients at the surgery in the time it takes to do one home visit.  The doctor will need to speak to the patient to assess the severity of their condition and decide on the most appropriate course of action

      There is a day resting facility at the surgery where ill patients can be observed by one of our nurses and medication administered if needed.  This may be more appropriate when you are unwell and needing a regular review of your condition, with a possible transfer to hospital if necessary. Please be aware that this facility is only open during term times and is only available to the students of the University of Leeds.

  • I’ve been ill and unable to attend my lectures...
    • Sick notes for colleges are usually only necessary for absences greater than 7 days. Please contact your parent department to inform them of absence from your course. If your department requests a doctors/nurses note you must have been seen at the surgery during your illness. You will then need to complete a Consent for Release of Medical Details form which is available at our reception.  Non Leeds University students will be charged for a departmental letter. It will take five to seven days to complete the letter.

      Please see the Sick Note section for further information

  • I have a sports injury...
    • We have a qualified sports injury trained doctor and also provide in house NHS and private physiotherapy treatment.  You can be referred to these services by one of our doctors or self refer for private physiotherapy. Please see further information in our Physiotherapy section

  • I need to see a specialist...
    • If the doctor decides that you need referral to a hospital outpatient clinic for further care or investigations this will usually be arranged the same day.  Most hospital clinic appointments can be booked via a system called ‘Choose and Book’.  You will be asked to meet with one of our secretaries in order to book a hospital appointment at the hospital of your choice. Please be aware that there are waiting lists for the hospital and you may have to wait some time for an appointment.

      Choose and Book is available 09:00 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 14:00, Monday to Friday.   A confirmatory letter will be sent to your home address.  If you do not keep your appointment your referral will be cancelled and you will need to see the doctor again. Please ensure that you inform us if you change your address whilst awaiting a hospital appointment.

  • I feel depressed or anxious...
    • Sometimes when faced with mental health problems it can be hard to find the right pathway

      Below is a list of resources you can access,  if in doubt, please fill out an EConsult on our website and you will receive a response within 48 hours.

      Where can I get help?

      • There are award winning on line resources published by Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust.  They offer video and audio information as well as written supporting materials on a wide range of mental health topics
      • If you are a student at the University of Leeds you can self refer to the Student Counselling Centre.  The service is private, confidential and focused on supporting students.  To make initial contact complete a self referral form accessed from the hypertext link on their home page
      • Leeds Metropolitan University offers counselling through the Student Wellbeing Centre.  You can arrange your first appointment by completing the online registration form
      • NHS Primary Care Mental Health Teams offer assessment and short term psychological treatment and support for anyone over the age of 17 in Leeds.  The service is for people with common mental health problems such as depression, anxiety and panic attacks, stress or difficulty coping with life events.  The service is part of the national Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) programme.  You can refer yourself or make an enquiry by telephoning 0113 843 4388 between 08:30 and 16:00, Monday to Friday. The IAPT Leeds page contains information about local services
      • For information on other mental health services go to www.mentalhealthleeds.info
      • Further information is available on our Mental Health page
  • I may be pregnant...
    • Pregnancy testing kits are available from all chemists and many supermarkets

      Pregnancy testing is available free to under 25s at all participating local pharmacists

      If you have an unplanned pregnancy and wish to discuss it with us, you can come and chat to any of our GPs or practice nurses who will be happy to support you and help you come to your decision

      Contact the surgery via our website by submitting an EConsult and you will receive a response within 48 hours.

      If you prefer, you can refer yourself directly for a termination.  Click here for information on the services available here in Leeds.

      If you wish to book antenatal care, please book an appointment with the midwife at the surgery as early in your pregnancy as possible, so that arrangements can be put in place in good time. There is no need to see a doctor first, you can book a midwife appointment directly via our reception.


  • I need emergency contraception...
      • Emergency contraception is available here every day from our practice nurses, just contact the practice via an EConsult which can be filled out on our website. You will receive a response with the next steps within 48 hours.
      • If you think you may need it, just contact the practice via an EConsult which can be filled out on our website. You will receive a response with the next steps within 48 hours.
      • Emergency contraception is also available from local pharmacies, Leeds Contraception and Sexual Health Services (CASH)

      For more information see our Emergency Contraception page

  • How do I request a vaccination history?
    • If you would like to request a vaccination history please complete the below consent form , Enclose a stamped addressed envelope and post to,

      FAO Reception

      Leeds Student Medical Practice

      4 Blenheim Court

      Blenheim Walk

      LS2 9AE

      Consent Form

      Please note that there is an £8 charge for the Yellow Fever certificate.

      You can also request your vaccination history by emailing: lsmp.mail@nhs.net

Related Information

  • Slider Image

    How to book an appointment

    Information on different appointment types, times & who you need to see.

    More Information
  • Slider Image

    New Patient Eligibility

    Wondering if you're eligible to register at Leeds Student Medical Practice?

    More Information